Monday, June 30, 2008

Mandolin Symposium 2008

Ronda and I just returned from the 2008 Mandolin Symposium at the University of California at Santa Cruz.  If you'd like to see some photos (fresh out of the camera), they're here: http://gallery.mac.com/djcoffey#100119

Wow, what a week!  I'm still processing it all.  In spite of professing that I wanted a variety of experiences, I found myself attending most of Caterina Licthenberg's classical classes.  It was too good of an opportunity to miss, although I did attend a class on doublestops in blues led by Rich DelGrosso and a class on simple break improvisation led by Tony Williamson and Paul Glasse and attended Mike Marshall's "finger-busters" class.

The instructor to student ratio was fantastic - 150 students, 9 instructors - so you were really up close and personal in any class you chose to attend.

Beyond that, there were incredible concerts every night featuring some set of the instructors (Mike Marshal, David Grisman, Andy Statman, Herschel Sizemore, Ron McCoury, Danillo Brito were the others featured).

Ronda and I played in the classical ensemble.  I think Caterina and the rest were surprised by the number of people wanting to play classical - there were around 15-20 of us (forgot to count).

I'm sure Ronda will have some good observations about what we learned at the Symposium and her experiences!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Sounds and looks like you had a great time, but I didn't see any pictures of YOU! Which one was Dave Grisman? I don't think I saw Ron (Ronnie) McCoury, either. There are some cool-looking instruments in the pictures.

Ronda said...

The symposium was awesome! As with all "mandolin camps" I've been to so far, we were busy from about 9 am to 10, 11 or even later every day. I'm exhausted but had a great time. Even got some left hand fingering suggestions for Entry of the Gladiators from Mike Marshall. First mandolins--I'll let you know if I find one that helps with speed :o)

I too gravitated toward classical classes. It seemed like many of the bluegrass or blues classes may have required more chord knowledge than I had.

I've got pictures too and will be uploading them to Dotty's Gallery.

I also recorded a lot of music. I'll bring in the recordings of our classical ensemble performance for you to listen to. I think we sounded pretty darn good :o)

Dotty said...

John Baxter uploaded videos of the final concert to Mando Tunes.

http://www.mandotunes.com/mandosym/mandosym2008/


Anne, David Grisman is the guy with the white hair and beard.

I didn't get photos of everyone - somehow I missed Ron. And, as I was the one taking the photos, don't have any of me. Such is life!