Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Web hosting ideas?

We need to change the way the MMO web site is hosted. Currently, I own the name minnesotamandolinorchestra.org, and that name points to my personal web space, which is included in my mindspring (a.k.a. earthlink) ISP account.

I'm in the process of changing ISPs. Unfortunately, the new ISP doesn't have the hosting flexibility that mindspring has. Before I pull the plug on the old account, we need to find another place for our site to live. We can still use the minnesotamandolinorchestra name--we just need to make it point somewhere else.

Some possibilities: We could use a hosting service like GoDaddy or Yahoo! ($5-$10 per month). Or we might be able to use web space belonging to another MMO member. A possible difficulty is that I, as the webmaster, would need write access to that account.

Ideas, anyone?

6 comments:

Jean M. said...

If there is web hosting available for as low as $5 - $10/month, that would seem like the way to go (I didn't know it was that cheap). I would think that our treasury could support this level of expenditure. It's much cleaner if MMO has their own "space".

james said...

"cleaner" is exactly the word that came to mind. i concur.

Dotty said...

I agree with Jean.

Apple's MobileMe supports personal domain names, if you're a Mac-head and want to consider that option.

$99 a year, 20 GB storage, 200 GB monthly data transfer.

iWeb is pretty dead simple to use and to publish.

Anne said...

I'm not sure how useful this is, but here's a comment from a guy who was telling me about his blog which is also a website:

blogspot is a blog, but a blog is pretty much a website.

it's actually really easy to use because you don't have to register a domain name (like twincitescosmosgroup.com) blogspot does that for you and it's free. like my blog is http://rob-jensen.blogspot.com/

basically all your doing is posting your meeting like you do on the SWUGN website. like anna said, the nice thing about the blog is you can subscribe to it and get email alerts when it's updated.

[end of his message]

Kevin R Le Voir said...

I also support Jean's recommendation.

Tedd Ronning said...

Please keep in mind that the MMO's income is pretty limited. If there is any way to get web support for free I would prefer that.