Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Pick mania

Maybe a few of you are enjoying your new Fender Extra Heavies. I like to mix it up, myself - different picks make different sounds. As they say, does Picasso only use one brush? Does Arnold Palmer only use one club?

I forgot to bring any picks to a wedding reception job a few months ago - potential disaster for the rock/pop/R&B dance-band electric guitarist. I broke a compact disc into pieces and found a few bits that I could use as picks - they worked well enough to get through the night.

I used to know somebody who would use a dime as a guitar pick.

I have a stone pick made out of polished agate.

Any other pick stories?

3 comments:

Kevin R Le Voir said...

I have made a pick out of a legally taken snapping turle's shell (Silver Lake MN Sportsmans Club Turtle soup Fundraiser left over). I carry the pick around in a pill bottle in my Mandolin Orchestra Bag.

I carry extra Picks in a Pick Pouch in my pocket. I got the pouch from Jazz Mando.com. This way I always have some picks. It came in handy at the Walker MN gig when I forgot my good pick at home.

The Fender Picks I got were distributed to friends in South Dakota,

TF said...

Interesting - I have seen some claims that tortoise shell makes a better pick than any other material - is this true?

Lon Hendricks said...

There will never be a consensus on the tortoise shell issue. Many people think the BlueChip picks are better than tortoise. I'm not willing to pay $35 for a pick, so I'm staying with the 1.14 Dunlop Delrin pick.