Sunday, April 13, 2008

Saturday Practice Session & Jam

A good time was had Saturday by those who made the trek into the warehouse district in Mpls.

We tore into the tricky bits of a number of the pieces in our repertoire, sorting out position shifts, fingering, rhythm and the elusive tied note lurking about in Goldfinger.

We reminded ourselves of the mp3 files on the MMO site, and played around with Amazing Slowdowner - getting that full orchestra sound.  I had forgotten how helpful that software is!  And reasonable priced too for Mac & PC!  

After that, we broke for treats, then talked a little about the history of the orchestra and - of course - about our absent friends - all nice things I assure you!

We jammed for a while afterwards - discovering that some of our members are better than average amateur guitarists!  Could have used a few more singers and the words to the songs!

This was just the spark I needed to get out of my practicing rut (or lack of practice)!

We'll see about doing it again in May or June.

Dotty


2 comments:

Ronda said...

Anne has quite the 70s retro guitar repertoire! We jammed to the likes of Crosby, Stills and Nash, James Taylor, Bread, John Denver... my kind of music :o) Next time we'll have to get some lyrics and sing some harmonies! Anne, do you like/play old Neil Young songs?
Ronda

Anne said...

Ronda, you are quite the guitarist, too! I hadn't played "Closer to Fine" in years. I can't believe I left out Neil Young! The Needle and the Damage Done, Out on the Weekend, Heart of Gold, Old Man, Southern Man, Harvest, After the Gold Rush, Tell Me Why, etc. Like I said, I wish I had brought my music book for a memory jogger. I don't have Alzheimer's, just Part-Timers.