Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Artist Works

Greetings MMO Friends,

I recently have been playing/practicing more on my Soprano Mandolin. I purchased a few sets of the D'Addario Flat Tops in Phosphorous Bronze EFT74's. I have been using the flat tops on my Mandola for sometime now. I was previously using ELIXIR brand mandolin strings on my Lebeda - soprano mandolin.

But, I was amazed at how much nicer the Flat Tops were to play on my soprano Mandolin. I will try to bring my Lebeda mandolin to the first rehearsal in January - if anyone is interested in hearing the tone. They tune up very nicely and have a nice bright tone (to my ear) and no squeaking as you are going up and down the neck.

Secondly, ArtistWorks is having their annual %50 OFF on their online lessons including Mandolin:  Mike Marshall teaches Blue Grass Mandolin and Katerina Lichtenberg (Mike Marshall spouse) teaches Classical Mandolin. For those of you who have attended CMSA in the past, I am sure you will recognize both of them as gifted artists!

 At 50% off, a 1 year subscription was about $141.00 - and I find their materials and instruction is excellent (I am currently signed up with Katerina).


Happy Holidays!

Daryl Clark
MMO - Mandocello (The old guy in the back!)

2 comments:

Lou Chouinard said...

Hi Darryl -

If you like Flat Tops, try the D'Adarrio Flat Wound strings. I've tried them all and find they are the best for feel and no squeak.

YMMV -

Lou

Jonathan Bredin said...

FWIW, I use D'Adarrio flat tops (EFT76) on my Collings alto mandola (16" scale).

- They take a few hours of playing to get that dusty sound off.
- I like how they sound once they break in.
- They are heavy -- 200lbs of tension reading the envelope -- and they feel stiff. After playing with EFT76's, other mandolins magically become easier to play. Being heavy, they strain/wear your tuners, and the luthiers at Hoffman told me to use graphite lubricant on the tuner gears.
- The A strings are wound, so there's less of a change in timbre from the D to A string than with other sets, but the wrap is thin and fragile, so they don't last long. I haven't been able to find single/paris of FT A strings, and have been told by dealers that D'Adarrio doesn't sell them.