Wednesday, March 20, 2013

FYI re Eastwood electric mandolin

(There was an email going around recently about electric mandos.)

For those who may be interested in the low-priced Eastwood brand solid-body electric mandolin, I bought a used one a few weeks ago.  It played great, but the pickups were the worst; noisy, low-output.  I thought about returning it, but by then I had already taken it apart.  It should be nice enough when I get done reworking the electronics, which I'm doing myself.

So for anyone who wants to know, the Eastwood is a nice enough player, but I suggest that you may not be happy with the sound coming from your amplifier.

2 comments:

Tedd Ronning said...

Tate, I just bought the new Fender Mando Strat. The fit and finish is very nice for a $300 instrument. The pickup could be better but it works fine. I'm guessing with the popularity of this instrument there will be some replacement pickups on the market soon. Or I bet Kevin Shwaub at Hoffmans could put in a better one. I've been playing it through my Peavey Bravo and it sounds awesome. I also have an amplifier app on my iPad that sounds pretty cool.

TF said...

Thanks for your reply, Tedd. I wouldn't mind trying the Fender mando some time.

I shielded my Eastwood's control cavity with copper foil tape, and fabricated a new pickguard from black plastic, to fit a single hum-canceling pickup. (I had these parts already, being an electronic tinkerer since early 1970s.) The instrument is dead silent now - no hum or buzz - and sounds great.